Access Statement for Dufton House Bed and Breakfast
114 High Brigham, Cockermouth, Cumbria. CA13 0TJ
Dufton House is a Georgian farmhouse dating back to 1662, situated in the peaceful village of Brigham just two miles from Cockermouth. The house is an ideal base for exploring the Western Lakes and Solway Coast.
We are a small family run business providing one double bedroom with en-suite bathroom. Our aim is to meet individual needs and make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
The following statement is a summary of our provision. If you have any specific questions please feel free to call us and we will endeavour to help.
• You can contact us by phone or E.Mail and you can find details of our accommodation and local attractions on our website.www.duftonhouse.co.uk
• We can provide a brochure before your visit with brief descriptions and illustrations of the house and bedroom.
• Public transport passes through the village linking with onward public transport in Cockermouth, to all areas of the Lake District.
• The nearest railway station is 5 miles away in Workington on the coastal line from Carlisle. The nearest mainline station is Penrith which is 30 miles away.
• We are happy to provide a collection service to and from Cockermouth for our visitors.
• Our village shop provides a full range of services; newsagent, off licence, grocers, butchers and we are happy to collect any provisions you may need.
• The nearest Shop Mobility scheme is at Workington “Parksafe “ car park, Steelmans Walk, Workington.
• Telephone: 07778510342. Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 4pm. There are 40 undercover disabled parking spaces. Manual wheelchairs and powered scooters can be hired.
• An accessible toilet is available in the car park.
• Our information folder in the bedroom provides details of further services located in the area E.g. Taxis, Doctors, Chemist.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• The property is approached down a narrow lane off the main road through the village.
• There is good street lighting and lighting above the door to illuminate the entrance and car park.
• The house name is displayed on a tactile sign to the right of the front door. A door bell, to the left of the door, and a knocker, on the door, are provided to gain access.
• There is reserved space for one car directly in front of the main entrance door.
• The front door is only a few feet away and is accessed over a level concrete driveway.
• A low rise step gives access to the entrance hall, a further 15cm step leads to the main lounge and breakfast room.
• Assistance will be offered with luggage to the bedroom on the first floor.
• We are happy to make arrangements regarding your arrival over the phone or via E.Mail prior to your stay.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
• The front door is 1 metre wide and has a low rise step leading into our well lit spacious reception hall, 6 metres by 1.5 metres. The flooring is wood effect vinyl.
• From here a 15cm step leads through a door 80cm wide to the lounge and breakfast area where there are comfortable chairs to rest while registration is completed.
• Guests will be escorted to their room where facilities will be explained.
• You will be provided with a key for the front door to enable you to access the property during your stay.
• We are used to dealing with dogs and can provide food and water bowls as well as bedding.
• There is an enclosed rear garden where dogs are safe to roam free.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• From the lounge the bedroom accommodation is accessed through a wooden door 85 cm wide leading onto a well lit metre wide stone staircase with two flights of 8 stone steps. Handrails to one side.
• No public telephone is available but we are happy for guests to use the house telephone with assistance if required.
Public Areas - Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• The breakfast room/lounge is on the ground floor with level carpeted access.
• Access to the breakfast/dining room is through double doors, 1.8 metres wide, which are always left open.
• There is a small WC off the reception hall but this is not accessible for wheelchairs.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Take Away & Cafe
• Breakfast and evening meals are served in the breakfast room on the ground floor.
• A rectangular table has under space of 70cm.
• There are chairs without arms which can be moved.
• Special diets are catered for given prior notice.
• Assistance is available throughout the meal.
• Menus can be provided in large print if required.
• We can provide a laundry service if required during you stay.
• Hillary's Stores Ltd in the village provides newsagent, off licence, butchery and grocery service.
• Opening hours are 6.30am to 7.00pm Monday to Friday, 6.30am to 6.00pm Saturday and 8.00am to 1.0pm on Sunday.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
• The double bedroom is on the first floor. The bedroom door is 80cm wide and the door into the En-suite is 70cm wide.
• Two bedside lamps and the main ceiling light, which can be operated from the bed, provide the lighting.
• Remote control television with Freeview and Teletext is provided in the room.
• The bedroom has short pile fitted carpet and the bathroom has wood effect vinyl.
• The bed is 60cm high. Furniture including armchair, drawers and table can be moved on request.
• A kettle with content indicator is provided and the hospitality tray is restocked daily.
• A flashing fire alarm is located outside the bedroom door.
• Non allergenic bedding is available.
• The room will be serviced on a daily basis.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
• The En-suite bathroom is 3.4metres by 1.6 metres. The flooring is wood effect vinyl.
• There is a bath with support rails but no shower.
Grounds and Gardens
• The walled and private rear garden is available for guests to use.
• Access is via a double door onto a gravel terrace where a bench and two outdoor tables with chairs provide resting places.
• From the terrace wide steps without a rail and a second set of narrow steps with a hand rail give access to a flat lawned area with flower borders and a seating area near a raised pond.
• Uneven bark covered garden paths lead from the lawn to provide a short circular walk around the rest of the garden.
• Our information folder in the bedroom explains emergency procedures.
• We have had some experience of working with people with disabilities and are looking to attend refresher courses in the near future.
• We are willing to assist with hiring any equipment that would be needed during your stay.
• We have a strict No Smoking policy within the house.
• Mobile phone reception is not good so the house telephone is available for local incoming and outgoing calls.
• We are happy to accommodate working dogs who are well behaved.
• Background noise can be turned off in the breakfast room on request.
• We have an additional room available at a reduced rate for a carer. It would be close to you but without a private bathroom.
• We can store any medication or special dietary food within our fridge providing it is clearly labelled.
• We can provide an intercom system for emergency calls if required.
Address: Dufton House
114 High Brigham,
Grid reference: 089E 303N
Hours of operation: Check in time is usually 4pm but we can allow earlier access with prior agreement.
We expect visitors to check out by 10am.
• We plan to improve the driveway by providing block paving and an additional car parking space. (To be completed by summer 2010)
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve. If you have any comments please phone 01900827047 or email email@example.com